Adele calls backlash over Las Vegas residency cancellation brutal

0
Placeholder while loading article actions

LONDON – Adele has opened up about the “brutal” backlash and guilt she faced after deciding to postpone her Las Vegas residency this year, saying she “was a shell of a person” within months that followed his announcement.

In an interview with BBC Radio 4, the singer said that while she stands by her decision to postpone her January to April stint at Caesars Palace Hotel, the consequences have been heartbreaking.

“I really felt everyone’s disappointment, I was devastated and I was afraid to let them down,” she said, adding that all she could do was “wait and to cry”.

In January Adele took to Instagram just 24 hours before the residency opened, telling his followers he had no choice but to cancel the weekend’s run of shows – which fans around the world had booked tickets for.

“I’m so sorry, but my show isn’t ready,” she said, wiping away tears.

“I’m so sorry it was impossible,” she said, explaining that the production team was devastated by “delays in delivery and covid.”

Many fans supported the star despite the unexpected announcement, sending heart emoji and uplifting messages, but others – especially those who had booked flights from other countries – blamed her for the lack of notice. .

“It was horrible,” she recalled in the interview that aired on Sunday.

Tearful Adele postpones Las Vegas residency: ‘I’m so sorry, but my show isn’t ready’

Tickets for the residency had sold for between a few hundred dollars and up to $30,000 on resale sites, Forbes reported last year.

In the apology video, which has been viewed more than 20 million times, Adele said the shows would be postponed. On Friday, she told ticket holders that dates would be announced “very, very soon.”

Adele’s remarks to the BBC came amid two huge performances in her hometown of London over the weekend – her first gigs in five years. “Who’s ready for tomorrow!?” the star teased on Instagram ahead of her first show on Friday.

After six years without a new album, Adele returned with “30” in November. The single “Easy on Me” was released in October, quickly breaking Amazon Music and Spotify records.

She said writing new music helped her through “the most turbulent time” of her life, including her divorce from Simon Konecki, with whom she has a son, Angelo.

Speaking to the BBC, she said the two remain friends and approach their split “with grace”.

“Above my corpse, my child has a complicated divorce in his life,” Adele said. “There are no problems.”

Asked about the backlash and widespread interest in her weight loss, the star said frequent exercise has helped her focus and provided an outlet as she struggles with her mental health. She said she was aware some fans felt “betrayed” by her slimmer figure, but it was something she was doing for herself.

“I felt bad for some people who felt like other people’s comments meant they weren’t beautiful or they weren’t beautiful,” she told host Lauren Laverne , adding that comments accusing her of conforming to the pressures women face to be slim did not deter her.

“You don’t hold my hand at night at 4 a.m. when I’m crying with anxiety and needing a distraction,” she said.

Share.

Comments are closed.