Memorial Day weekend is approaching, which means it’s time to honor and remember U.S. military veterans, attend parades and family picnics, and get ready for summer fun. , including outdoor concerts in the Erie area.
Band queues for various rounds of free concerts have filled with event organizers making announcements over the past few weeks, with a few exceptions. Starting Monday, CelebrateErie and the Blues and Jazz Festival had not yet announced the concert schedule. from Erie Blues and Jazz Festival is scheduled for August 5-7 at Frontier Park, while CelebrateErie returns after a two-year hiatus from August 19-21.
Here’s a look at who’s playing when:
UPMC Sunset Music Series
Although starting later in the season than previous versions, this year Sunset Music Series will feature six nights of songs starting June 22 on the shoreline of Beach 11 of Près Isle State Park. All concerts open at 5:30 p.m. with the main acts beginning at 7 p.m.
- June 22: Eric Brewer & Friends. Opening: Rodger Montgomery Blues Band
- June 29: Chautauqua Jazz Revival. Opening: Perez Project
- July 6: Danny & the Daddios. Opening: Lori Burke
- July 13: Smilo and the ghost. Opening: Tommy Link
- July 20: SIRSY. Opening: The Islers
- July 27: crush. Opening: Psych Patrol
To visit discoverpi.com/events for information.
Concert Series 814
The new six-show concert series presented by UPMC Health Plan will see an Erie band perform at various parks each Sunday at 6 p.m., starting July 10. All concerts follow a 4 p.m. drum circle session by One World Tribe.
- July 10: The Islers at Bayview Park, West Second and Cherry Streets
- July 17: The Breeze Band at Franklin Park, East Seventh Street and Marne Road
- July 24: The Division Street Machine at Washington Park, West 24th and Raspberry Streets
- July 31: The Groove at Wayne Park, East Sixth Street and East Avenue
- August 7: Mambo at Baldwin Park, West 25th Street and Berst Avenue
- August 14: Eric Brewer & Friends at Baker Field, East 32nd and Holland Streets
For information, visit 814concerts.com.
Summer Sounds Series
Sounds of Summer features a local band for six Mondays at 7 p.m. starting July 11. Concerts are held in seniors’ residences throughout the city.
- July 11: The Rooftop Project at Mercy Terrace Apartments, 430 E. Grandview Blvd.
- July 18: Bayfront Dixieland Band, location TBD
- July 25: Group TBD at Ostrow Apartments, 4220 Davison Ave.
- August 1: Almost Isle Little Big Band at the Pennsylvania Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Home, 560 E. Third St.
- August 8: Almost Isle Saxophone Quartet at Nightingale Nursing and Rehab Center, formerly Saint Mary’s East, 607 E. 26th St.
- August 15: Gem City Jazz Ensemble at Curry Schell Apartments, 3909 Schaper Ave.
For information, visit 814concerts.com.
ErieBank 8 Great Tuesdays
The popular Bayside Series runs for eight consecutive Tuesdays from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., starting July 5, at the Highmark Amphitheater in Liberty Park.
- July 5: Erie All Stars. No door opener
- July 12: Zac Brown Tribute Band. Opening: Reignmaker
- July 19: King Solomon Hicks. Opening: The Pierce Dipner Group
- July 26: Concrete castles. Opening: The Polkamaniacs, Patrick Lah
- August 2: City pants. Opening: The Probables
- August 9: Latin Fusion. No door opener
- August 16: Buffalo Rose. Overture: The Powerful Organ Trio Ron Yarosz
- August 23: Bruce in the United States. Opening: Jack Stevenson & The Buried Treasure Band
For information, call 814-455-7557 or visit porterie.org.
Concerts, festivals, fireworks, tours:Erie’s waterfront has a lot to offer this summer
Other musical event programming
- Monday Music in the Woods: Mondays, June 6 to July 25 except July 4, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., Asbury Woods, 4105 Asbury Road. Outdoor concerts in the Celebration Garden with local artists playing folk, bluegrass, classic rock and more. Performers: June 6, Erika Kuhn and Jesse Smith; June 13, The Collective; June 20, Stephen Gutting; June 27, Rankin and Schell; July 11, Mike and Marie Miller; July 18, Katie and Jack; and on July 25, Jesse James Weston. Take a chair or a blanket. Food and drinks available for purchase. Pre-registration required. Free. 814-835-5356. Information: www.asburywoods.org/events/monday-music-in-the-woods.
- Summer concerts at Whitford Park: Wednesdays June 8-August. 31, 7 p.m.; Whitford Park, 5400 Iroquois Ave, Harborcreek Township; take a folding chair or a blanket. Performers: June 8, Country Blue; June 15, Generic Grass; June 22, The Mountain Thyme Ramblers; June 29, Abbey Road; July 6, The Loose Change Band; July 13, shaded side; July 20, Acoustic Ear Candy; July 27, Mike and Marie Acoustics; August 3, well done; August 10, Polka Relations; August 17, Kurt Novakowski (Elvis impersonator); August 24, David Julius; and on August 31, Gem City Band. No cost. Information: harbourcreektownship.org.
- Thursday at the Park: Thursdays, June 9-August. 25, 7 p.m.-9 p.m.; City Park Gazebo, intersection of North Center and East Smith streets, Corry; 31st Annual Concert Series. Performers: June 9, Gypsy Heart; June 16, Dennis Ford; June 23, Mayflower Hill; June 30, Lucky Dog; July 7, new turning point; July 14, House of Rhythm; July 21, The Erie Philharmonic performing “Tubby the Tuba” (start time 6 p.m. instead of 7); July 28, Knuckle Down; August 4, thin and red; August 11, Diana Evans (music for children); August 18, Happy Days; and August 25, radioactive. Open to all, bring a folding chair or a blanket; take your own picnic basket or stop and bring a bite to eat from a local restaurant. No cost. Information: corryareaartscouncil.com.
- Goodell Summer Musical Series: Select Fridays (June 10, June 24, July 8, July 22, August 5, August 12), 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. (doors open at 6:45 p.m.); Goodell Gardens & Homestead, 221 Waterford Street, Edinboro. Performers: June 10, Slim & Red; June 24, Salmon Frank; July 8, Tiger Maple String Band; July 22, House of Rhythm; August 5, Patchouli & Terra Guitarra; and on August 12, Jess Royer and Nick Warren. Take a folding chair or a blanket; concessions available for sale. Cost: Free tickets. Information: goodellgardens.org.
- Music in the park: Wednesdays June 15-August. 31, 7 p.m. to sunset; Lake Erie Community Park, 10192 West Lake Road, Lake City. Girard concert series with food trucks and refreshments. Performers: June 15, Steppin Pappy; June 22, Shore; June 29, 90 south; July 6, The Breeze Band; July 13, Riffriders; July 20, Tiger Maple String Band; July 27, fugitives; August 3, Matty & the Pickles; August 10, Jim Madden & Friends; August 17, Rodger Montgomery Blues Band; August 24, Erie Philharmonic Brass Ensemble; and on August 31, West County Rangers. No cost. Information: 814-774-4738.
- Belvedere Concerts: Thursdays (June 16, July 21, Aug. 18), 7-9 p.m.; lookout in Beute Park, between Iroquois and Silliman Avenues and Morse Street, Township of Lawrence Park. Performers: June 16, Erie Heights Brass Ensemble; July 21, The Kokomo Time Band; and on August 18, Chris & Julie Moore of Tennessee Back Porch. Take a folding chair or a blanket. No cost. Information: lawrenceparktwp.org.
- WQLN rings around town: Fridays (July 8, 15, 22, 29), 7:30 p.m.; wooded performance pavilion near WQLN Studios, 8425 Peach St. Bring blankets or folding chairs for seating; in case of rain, concerts will move indoors; all concerts will be taped and broadcast later on WQLN-TV and WQLN-FM/91.3. Performers: July 8, The Rooftop Project; July 15, TBD; July 22, Brooke Surgener; and July 29, Rankin and Schell. No cost. Information: wqln.org.
- Gears-N-Grub: July 16, 11am-9pm; July 17, 11am-6pm; Millcreek Mall parking lot, 5800 Peach St. Event features music, car show, Queen of Gem City pin-up contest, crafts, food trucks, corn hole tournament, games , children’s activities and more. Benefits from the Second Harvest food bank. Some bands to be determined. All bands on July 17 will be performed by female artists as part of a special Erie’s Women Of Rock day. Performers: The Remixx, 11 a.m.-12:15 p.m.; Hooligans Holidays, 12:45 p.m.-2 p.m.; Phoenix Rising, 2:15-3:30 p.m.; and Honey Echo, 3:45 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Cost: free. Information: gears-n-grub.com.