Storm chairman Matt Tripp has contacted Cameron Smith after the former Melbourne skipper delivered a dazzling criticism of the club’s handling of a viral video scandal.
Cameron Munster and Brandon Smith will be forced to address the media next week after a video of their postseason celebrations leaked online.
Rear rower Chris Lewis, who was not seen in the vision, will also be forced to face the music.
Watch massive Fox League lineup of the Grand Final week on Kayo, including live pre-match, half-time and post-match coverage with full analysis of the best team in the business . New to Kayo? Start your free trial>
It took more than 24 hours after the video was released for the Storm to take action, with CEO Justin Rodski issuing a statement.
Rodski had been accused of “hiding under a desk” by NRL360 co-host Paul Kent and refused to take calls regarding the incident.
Legendary Captain Cameron Smith echoed those sentiments, telling SEN Radio that the Storm was too slow to come out and resolve the issue after accusing his former teammates of stupidity.
âThese boys know the rules; it is illegal in society and in the game of rugby league, âsaid Smith.
âI would like to think they are smarter than the way they acted.
âAllowing strangers to come into a room and have phones filmingâ¦ it’s mind-boggling to see these guys making these bad choices. “
The trio face heavy fines from the NRL and will likely be wiped out for the start of the 2022 season.
“THIS IS WHAT PREVENTS ME”: Smith lashes out at former teammates over video scandal
“VERY DISAPPOINTED”: the storm breaks the silence as the club launches its own video investigation
GONE AWOL: NRL will hit Storm trio hard as club attacks “hiding under a desk”
Tripp said the Storm’s inaction was partly linked to the looming threat of a move from the NRL Grand Finals following a Covid-19 outbreak in south-eastern Queensland.
But he warned the players would be left unequivocal as to their mistake.
“I spoke with ‘Smitty’ [Smith] Last night I clarified some things he wasn’t aware of, and he’s more than comfortable with the way the club has handled it, âTripp told the Sydney Morning Herald.
âWe never wanted it to escalate, it’s against the wishes of the Melbourne Storm and we would have nipped it in the bud 24 hours after realizing it.
âBut the NRL requested that we treat it in sync with each other. We are still awaiting their verdict and are working hard to get a verdict. But they also made it known that they need to make sure the grand finale goes due to the [COVID-19] scare up there.
âWhen it comes to Smitty’s criticism of the players, it’s hard to disagree with him. We are disappointed. They are extremely sorry. You will see on Tuesday how remorseful they are.
âIt’s really about their welfare and we have to take care of these boys. They are upset because they know they made a bad choice and the ramifications are greater than they expected.
“There is zero tolerance at the club, we strive to be better than most, and we have to fix it.”